Tuesday, August 24, 2010

HUNG: “Third Base or The Rash”

I enjoyed last night’s Hung, a solid 6, which is pretty much always my reaction to that show. After all the lore of Ray’s legendary days on the diamond, it was great to see him poke one out of the park, even if it was just a set-up.


I loved the scene with Ray fingering Ms. Preggers in the bath tub, and really enjoyed some of those underwater camera angles. It seems like he’s learning to be more of a professional, given the way he was able to push through his torn rotator cuff and finish her off. I will confess that for a few seconds I thought he actually broke his fingers while they were inside her, which would have been epic. It’s unclear to me whether he actually got paid for that. If he didn’t, I suppose I’d have to retract my statement about him learning to be a professional.

I’m glad Mike and Frances were able to work things out. Tanya running across the diamond and climbing over the centerfield fence was the comic highlight of the episode. I’m assuming Frances witnessing that clarified for her what had actually been going on all this time. I don’t really see how Mike can stay on the show as a regular after this episode, given that his plot line has come to a natural conclusion, which is too bad.

I loved Ronnie telling Ray, “People like me rule the fucking world.” I just wish Ray had come back with, “You’re a dermatologist, you don’t rule shit.” (No offense to any dermatologists out there, you're job is very important and we thank you...but if you thought you ruled the world, consider this your bubble being burst) Ronnie can feel his wife slipping away, but I can’t feel too bad for him given that he’s brought it all on himself. He’s treating her like a vessel for him to store a baby in, since it has to be clear to him by now that it’s not what she wants. If this is a deal breaker for him, then he should get a divorce and find someone who can give him the kind of family he wants. Bullying his wife into having his baby is not a reasonable route to take, nor is it an ethical one.

I’m still enjoying the burgeoning flirtation between Ray and Jessica and hope to see something happen on that front. But I still can’t shake the feeling that season 2 Jessica is too drastically different from season 1 Jessica. Don’t get me wrong, I vastly prefer this new incarnation with, you know, a soul. But the shift feels a bit inorganic.

Only 2 episodes to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment